It’s March, and you know what that means – SPRING BREAK! Orange County District Schools are closed for March 20-24, 2017. Being in Orlando means that we literally live where others vacation, and we have an entire region full of fun things to do that don’t require going out of town. If you’re considering having a staycation with your family this Spring Break, here are some idea for making the most of it.
To start, treat it like a real vacation. Even if you are staying home, a staycation gives you a wonderful opportunity to unplug – literally. Turn off the TV, take a break from social media, avoid your inbox … just like you would during an out-of-town vacation.
In addition, make some plans, but stay flexible. Just like you would research activities for you’re a destination vacation, it’s a good idea to flesh out some ideas on things to do during your break. But you can be flexible with your plans – if you opt to do something fun or sleep in a bit, do it! It’s your staycation, after all.
So … what to do? I’m glad you asked! Here are some ideas for your Orlando Spring Break Staycation.
- Load up the bikes and hit the trails. Find a handy list sorted by county at http://www.bikeorlando.net/
- Go camping in the backyard. Tell stories under the starts and munch on some s’mores.
- Research some recipes and cook something delicious. Italian, BBQ, Mexican, Southern – whatever you’re craving.
- Splash around. Whether you want to visit the beach, some cool springs, or even local pools, there’s lots to choose from here in Orlando. To see a map of Florida’s natural springs, visit http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/map/
- Pack a picnic lunch and head to a state park. Central Florida is home to a ton of beautiful state parks where you can enjoy a lunch, ride bikes, go fishing, hike, fly a kite, play sports and much more. For an interactive map, visit https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-regional-map/central
- Check out the Lake Eola Farmers’ Market. Hosted every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the market features delicious, local product, plants, handmade crafts, soaps, jewelry, honey, sweets and more.
- Float through the Lukas Nursery Butterfly Encounter. Explore this 4,000 sq. foot butterfly and bird conservatory. For details, visit http://lukasnursery.com/butterfly-encounter/
- Hang out with some dinosaurs at the Dinosaur Invasion taking place now at Leu Gardens through April 30. This super cool outdoor exhibit features life-like prehistoric creatures throughout the 50-acre botanic garden. For more info, visit http://www.leugardens.org/dinosaur-invasion-january-13-april-30/
- Take a stroll through Disney Springs. If you haven’t been to Disney Springs in a while you have to see it! Sample some delectable chocolate at the Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop and taste some Coca-Cola floats at the Coca-Cola store. The little ones will love the splash pad near the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. And if you want to do some shopping, there’s Uniqlo, Zara, Kate Spade New York and so much more!
What’s your favorite activity to enjoy during your staycation? Share your photos with me at Zahide@MyHouseOrlando.com and you could be featured in the next Discover Nona newsletter!